3 week old chicks sneezing... 1 has minor wound from pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Higginbotham, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Higginbotham

Higginbotham New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    My brother and I are new to raising chickens. Almost two weeks ago, we purchased 21 chicks.

Tonight, while letting them run around, we noticed about half are sneezing. We were going to go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and get probiotics to put in their water, but we're wondering if there's anything else we should do?

Also, one of the larger ones (we think he's a roo) has been pecked at a bit between where his neck and wing meets. No blood, but definitely weeping. We've been doing hours upon hours of research about them for a while. Just wanting to make sure that a simple saline solution and antibiotic ointment is best for him. We've already separated him from the flock.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG]! Congrats on the new chicks. Chickens don't get colds, like people do so, the sneezing might be environmental. What kind of shavings are you using? Walnut and Cedar are toxic to poultry. Is the chicks brooder dusty? They need to be in a area that is warm with good ventilation but not drafty at all. The Probiotics are a good idea. I would also give them some Save-A-Chick vitamins, Electrolytes and add Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to their water.
    Is your brooder crowded? That maybe why the rooster got pecked on. You could spray his wound with Blu Kote because it is a antiseptic and it will help hide the wound so, the others won't peck at it. It's not good for a chick to be alone.

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Watchful waiting might be best at this point. I'm not very big on medicating without diagnosis. You'll want to watch for lethargy, running eyes and nose, decreases appetite, and facial swelling. There are many contagious viruses and bacteria that can infect poultry, the big one now is avian flu. It can be passed by dirty boots (maybe you stepped in infected geese droppings then handles chicks), clothing, hands, etc.

Probiotics and electrolytes are a good start. A good brooder cleaning including all the feeders and founts is wise. Also, dusting it down with a swifter or damp cloth daily is very helpful in case it's just a dust issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by