3 week old chicks sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FirewifeJess, Apr 19, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I have 11 chicks and just tonight I witnessed 2 of them sneezing a bit, one has some discharge from her nostrils. They have ACV in their water and I have (but am currently not using) vitamin supplement for their water which I will mix tomorrow. What else? Should I get some Sulmet and mix for all since they're all brooding in the same space? Take out only the ones who sneeze and brood them elsewhere? (I don't have another brooder lamp though and would need to find somewhere to put them...eesh) I also read something about Vet-RX. What is that? What form is it in? How to administer, and do I give it to all of them or just the sick ones? Gosh I don't want to lose any of my precious babies!

2. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Went back out late tonight to check on them and put the supplement in their water and nobody was sneezing anymore but one still had a little bit of a runny nose. I added probiotics to their food which they promptly gobbled up! I'll check in the morning but I'm hoping all this will help the sneezers boost their own immune systems and get over this without antibiotics. Any advice is still surely welcome though!

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    You don't say WHERE they are "outside", do they have enough heat, and HOW OLD are these fuzzies? Babies need a heat source of like 95 degrees the first few weeks with NO DRAFTS, each week you can drop the temp 5 degrees until they are fully feathered.
    More info please...

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Here is a list of question that could help you figure out what is wrong. good luck.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) What is the behavior, exactly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11) Describe the housing/bedding in use.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.[/FONT]

5. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey

6. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Well now I think maybe they were just getting some dust or something in their noses because they are all perfectly healthy today! Not a single sneeze caught by me during the 6 times I visited them in the coop for at least 10 minutes each time. Either that, or the water supplements and probiotics really did their job that fast...unlikely. Anyway, thanks for trying to help, to those that did.

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Great news!~ I like happy endings.... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by