3 week old chicks surrendered to farm, help identify please!)

Jul 4, 2018
These adorable little peeps came to the farm at about ten days old, incubator hatched by kids and named Reeses and Kit Kat. It was a summer project at their grandparents, and their mother is a school teacher and didn't want to keep them so they brought then down here.

I normally raise up entire brooder coops and don't take just a chick because it's not something we just have the extra time for, that is, everyone's surrendered pet chicken, but the farmers dog ran off and they'd returned her did we took these chicks.

I'm really interested in the fuzzy cheeks one has and the fuzzy hair like feathers. We've always had real basic chickens and these look just a little fancy, and not just my mixed bantam chicks that I'm used to seeing..

Any ideas? (I uploaded the second chick facing away because her patterns more clear, and a second one out of order of the first chick, sorry for confusion...)

Attachments

• 20180716_102600.jpg
    20180716_102600.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180716_102722.jpg
    20180716_102722.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180716_102714.jpg
    20180716_102714.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180716_102730.jpg
    20180716_102730.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 24
These adorable little peeps came to the farm at about ten days old, incubator hatched by kids and named Reeses and Kit Kat. It was a summer project at their grandparents, and their mother is a school teacher and didn't want to keep them so they brought then down here.

I normally raise up entire brooder coops and don't take just a chick because it's not something we just have the extra time for, that is, everyone's surrendered pet chicken, but the farmers dog ran off and they'd returned her did we took these chicks.

I'm really interested in the fuzzy cheeks one has and the fuzzy hair like feathers. We've always had real basic chickens and these look just a little fancy, and not just my mixed bantam chicks that I'm used to seeing..

Any ideas? (I uploaded the second chick facing away because her patterns more clear, and a second one out of order of the first chick, sorry for confusion...)
I probably shouldn't be replying to your post since I do not know the breed. But I can tell you this... they are not your regular "run of the mill" type of chick. They are a special breed that I've seen before at the fair here in Lebanon Tennessee. I would keep them.

I could totally tell they were special and some kind of pure something. I'm going today finally to the library (went to early this morning) to get standard of perfection and pocketful of poultry but im not sure those identify chicks.

But these little guys had me excited :) I've got then on chick pellet right now with scraps like pancake and grit, egg tomato, things we pick up for the bigger chickens I think they'd like to play with that's good for them.

I'm no breeder, but I really enjoy taking care of the chickens here and I've been left to try to do better for them if I can and I'm doing my best to learn as much as I go through the experience I have and what else i can do from here on out

Very likely crossbreds. No way to know for sure this young. Post pictures at around 10 weeks of age. They need more time to mature to determine breed.

As really? That's two really different opinions. I'm completely a novice in this breeding thing, just by having a lot of chickens to look at, but they said they had gotten they from a breeder but that doesn't necessarily mean a "pure breed" of chicken, I'm understanding.

I was really hoping not to have to play the waiting game and that they definitively looked like "something"

Your going to have to wait, that's a fact. You'll have to wait at least until its first juvenile molt to know what its adult pattern is going to be. You also have to take its comb type, body shape, tail shape, leg color, and overall body carriage into consideration when determining the breed. Going of their current pattern and other traits I can't think of single breed they fit as of now. But like I stated its still very early.

Back
Top Bottom