3 Week Old Chicks/Vents Pecked/Leaking Fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThereR4Lights, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ThereR4Lights

ThereR4Lights Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2017
    Three of my 3 week old chicks (One EE and two Red Sex-Links) had their vents pecked by a turkey poult 3 days ago. All three were bloodied up, so I brought them inside, cleaned them up, and have been housing them inside for the last few days and regularly cleaning them. Their vents scabbed up and they've been able to poop pretty well for the most part, but this morning I noticed that they have some clear fluid/discharge coming from their vents. All three are very active, eating, drinking, and friendly. Is this something I need to be concerned about, and if so, are there any steps I can take to keep helping them? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How warm is their brooder? Watery poops can occur when drinking a larger amount of water. I would watch for any acting "off" or lethargic just in case of coccidiosis. They have runny poops with mucus and sometimes blood, will be puffed up, not eat, and act sleepy. This can be a problem from about 3 weeks and older until they develop a tolerance to cocci from droppings and in dirt. Corid can be used to treat an outbreak or used as a preventative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by