1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chicks with co-mamas! Are they ready to be with the flock??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zsuzs13, Aug 18, 2014.

1. zsuzs13

zsuzs13 New Egg

Mar 15, 2014
    The learning curve raising chicks is fast and steep and I can't say that I will know everything I need to know..... so I hope others experiences will help me determine my next step with my chicks.

Three weeks ago I had a broody Silkie hatch 6 chicks from eggs I had purchased. Two days before these chicks were to hatch the other silkie in my flock decided she didn't want to miss out on the excitement and she went broody! The original broody hen with her peeps were contained in a cat carrier on the floor of the coop for their first 2 days and by day 3 they were ready to stretch their legs. I was able to keep the peeps and 2 silkies in the coop during the day while the rest of the ladies were outside in the run. The peeps and the other broody hen adopted each other over the course of the next 2 days. In the evenings the one hen and peeps were contained in the dog carrier, the broody silkie diligently sat on her golf balls and the ladies roosted in the coop.

On day 4 I allowed one of the more friendly hens in the flock to visit the newly hatched chicks and it was a disaster! This hen went after the chicks and the silkie mom just put her feathers up and cowered while this hen also attacked her! New plan was to isolate both silkies and 6 peeps in their own area for a time to allow the chicks to grow a little. This area has a shared fenced wall where they can see each other. I am now trying to determine when I should take down the dividing fence and allow the whole group to mingle?????

The silkie moms are still very much interacting with the peeps, so maybe would be more protective than if they were ready to be done with them OR do I wait for the peeps to grow some more????

What would anyone advise who has had similar experiences??? Thanks!!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! I think it'd be OK to try! I have two chicks with my 15 week old pullets and the little ones just learn how to avoid trouble and stay out of the older chickens way. I put them together when the little ones were 3 almost 4 weeks and now they are 6 almost 7 weeks. At first I put cardboard boxes in the coop and run with little doors in them so the little ones could get in and hide when the older pullets were too mean. I think the Silkie moms should be able to handle it.

3. zsuzs13

zsuzs13 New Egg

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by