3 week old chicks with leg problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jalal75, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jalal75

jalal75 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Any help appreciated. 1 by1 my chicks are having problems standing/walking. Their feet are bending inwards and toes bending. I feel its bacterial ?? If I need to administer anti biotics does anyone know the dosages and method and of course does anyone know what this condition is.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What are the conditions of the brooder? What are you feeding them? How many chicks are showing signs?

Can you post pictures?

A little more info is needed. Sounds like it's a deficiency rather than a bacteria infection to me.

3. jalal75

Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, I dont have a camera so unfortunately I cant show a pic. They are in a brooder box with 2 low watt heat lamps. I was feeding them a mix which I was not confident about so I changed the feed to a more familiar type. The symptoms started before I changed it. The previous mix seemed to me just a finer filter of the adult mix grain I buy. It did seem very husky and probably was very low in protein, it was sold as a chick feed. The new mix I have now is more like what I used in the UK which has a slight moisture content and I have a better feeling with it. Perhaps the feed is the isue then.

Maybe its best I monitor them for the next few days ??? What do you think ?

Many thanks

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What is the brand of feed you are using?

Do they have a cool off place in their brooder? Do they seem cold or hot?

5. jalal75

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi,

I'm from the UK originally so I could give you a brand name you've heard of there. I'm now in Spain which has been part of the problem for me when it comes to sourcing quality. The original sack is at my neighbours house, I'll check tomorrow but I'm sure its a spanish manufacturer.

They have a cool off area in the brooder. They feel normal temp when I handle them. The more I think about it I feel it was the previous feed not being good quality, it was not cheap, it was the only chick feed available locally.

I'll check the feed tomorrow.

I appreciate your help !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by