3 Week old Chicks

JuliaWesterbeek

Chirping
Oct 17, 2016
The Netherlands
Hi Everyone,

I got 4 chicks from my school and I was told they hatched on November 16 so that would mean they would have to be around 3 weeks old right now. My previous and first chicks grew a lot faster and were already outside during the day at 3 weeks old (the coldest it ever gets where I live is 25 degrees celsius). The chicks I have now are small and not really feathered out yet (only wings) and I haven't put them outside. Have I just forgotten how small my previous chicks were or are they small for their age?

Here is a picture of the chicks:

Rosie (107 grams) -

Pete (130 grams) -
Keira (105 grams) - SORRY IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO PHOTOGRAPH HER / HIM
Noor (115 grams) -

At school they just had crushed chicken feed (chickens are not common where I live and only bad quality adult feed is available), while I give them mealworms, hard boiled yolk, crushed corn, grit, vitamin supplement, and some fresh leaves. Would this might be the reason why my first chicks were so much larger?

While we are talking about food, do you have any ideas on how I can improve my chickens diet? People only sell "chicken food" and not layer pellets where I live... I am not even sure what is in the food exactly since it doesn't even have a brand... Anyway, I try to give my birds extra vitamins, protein, and calcium but is this enough? Is their any homemade food that I can provide or use as their whole diet?

First stop feeding them calcium. They don't need it right now. Here's a nice recipe.
Organic Baby Chick Starter Feed Recipe with Fish Meal

7 cups organic hull-less oats
5 cups organic wheat
3 cups organic split green peas or organic field peas
1 cup organic (shelled) sunflower seeds
1.5 cups organic/wild caught fish meal
2 Tbs blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup organic kelp
2 Tbs brewer’s yeast
egg (raw or hard-boiled: see below)
greens: fresh grass, spinach, dark lettuce or kale

I would include some grit in their diet, too.

It's hard to tell from photos, but they look pretty normal to me. If they are behind in development, it's early enough that they could conceivably catch up. I wouldn't worry about it. You have it under control now.

Back
Top Bottom