3 week old Cornish-Bulging Rear Ends

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

My 3 week old Cornish all eat and drink heartily but have sparse feathers, I have one that looks burned he's so bare. But, my main concern is that they all have bulging rear ends, it's big and looks like a fluid sack almost. Is this normal? Can you help?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    How hot is it where you are?

3. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    Mid 80's, lots of shade. Would that be a factor as to what is going on?

4. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    No problem. That is just the way they are mine are the same way.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    The "junk in the trunk" is perfectly normal, as is the sparce feathering at this stage. In fact, I look for the pushy rears in the self-sustainable meat birds I'm trying to develope, as those with this characteristic almost always turns out to be more meaty ones later. I have also noticed some of my purebreds are being very slow to feather this year, and I think this may be a natural reaction to abnormally hot temps we're having.

6. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Thank you soo much Jake and Steve. They look so awful I don't feel like I want to eat them, LOL. My first time doing meaties--not sure I'll do it again. They act like piranas when feeding, but then again I'm doing this because I've never eaten anything but a store bought chicken!!

7. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Jake, your response "junk in the trunk: was hilarious and a perfect description!!!

8. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Quote:I hear ya. This is our first time with CX and they are so ugly, weird, smelly, and dull... On the other hand ours are only coming up on 7 weeks and I just weighed a cockerel at 7.5 pounds! We'll see what the meat quality is like before making a decision, but right now we are thinking maybe an extra 4 weeks wouldn't be a bad trade for birds that get out and forage around a little more. You know, like chickens!

The bulging, naked butts never completely go away, and some of these birds are still not really what you'd call fully-feathered, even though they are about to go into the freezer. They have a hell of a time walking with that enormous breast in the way. What strange creatures they are!

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My CX experience was vastly different than what you are describing. Mine had those junk in the trunk builds when they were young but were fully feathered and foraging before long. They were free ranged along with my laying flock and didn't have all the ugliness and health problems that seem to plague that breed. I fed once a day and they ate the same feed as my layers.

You can check out their pics on my thread in this section. I did progressive pics of their growth, their life, their processing if you are interested in raising the CX in just a little different way to get optimal results that don't freak you out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=325493

10. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    :(Thank you BeeKissed and Albion for your input. I'm having a hard time looking at these birds. Wish mine went like yours BeeKissed. Albion, let me know how yours turn out, ok?

Regards, Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by