1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old cornish rocks HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OSUman, Apr 23, 2009.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I went to the feed store (TSC) and they had almost 60 3 week old cornish rocks for 1.89 so i got 4 and they are bigger that my others so i put them in my dog kennel and i am wondering a couple things.
    1. When are the ready to butcher?
    2. What should i feed them to get ready to butcher?
    3. Should I feed them eggs?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    1. cornish x chicks are ready to butcher at 6-8 weeks.
    2. you can feed them just regular chick starter, or you could get some grower.
    3. im not sure about the egg thing, sorry

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    They can eat eggs, but they will do fine on regular grower feed. They have a feed conversion rate of about 2.2 to 2.5. So for every pound you expect them to gain figure 2.2 to 2.5 pounds of feed. A 50 pound bag should do it. You can butcher them as early as 6 weeks.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It can be a good idea to feed them broiler chick starter, or something else like that with extra protein, to reduce chances of them going down on their legs or heart problems or that sort of thing. They're putting on meat a LOT faster than regular chicks, they need a diet that'll support it.

Check out the Meat Birds Etc section of BYC, just cruise some of the threads there, it'll tell you all you need to know [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Someone posted on the meat chicks thread that you should feed cornish rock x 12 hours on, 12 hours off, to help keep them from having heart attacks because they grow so fast-- you can search it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by