3 week old crested not doing well :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FowlPrincess, Feb 5, 2014.

1. FowlPrincess

FowlPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hi. About 3 weeks ago we got our first two ducklings and two chicks. The ducklings are crested Perkins. I didn't know anything about Crested ducks at the time. One of my girls has started losing balance and flopping on her back. We kept her wrapped in a towel and she seems ok when she is sleeping on my husbands lap. But not so much on her own. I have read quite a few threads and it seems that most non crested ducks with these symptoms toxins or vitamin deficiency the likely culprits but with cresteds neurological issues are suspected. Are there different signs between the neuro issues and vitamin deficiency? What are her chances of making it though this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I had crested mallard duckling (she is now living at my aunts house) that i suspect has a nerological problem. She kept her head severely tilted to the side which made her fall over and spin in circles. She was healthy otherwise. She can still get around and eat and drink. I have heard that giving them vitamin and electrolyte supplements may be able to cure the problem, so i had her on that but it seemed to make little difference. She is about two weeks old now and still doing well besides for her neck problem, but i am not sure if it will go away or if she will have to live with her problem or it is eventually going to be fatal. These situations are very sad[​IMG]. I hope your little one gets better.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    While cresteds have a reputation for neurological problems, at this point I would suggest going with nutritional therapy.

I am not a vet, but what I would do is start with niacin supplementation, 150 mg per gallon of water in her drinking water for the next two months. This is per Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

Others on the forum have done well actually using a B Complex regimen, since thiamine is thought to be a limiting vitamin in some cases.

What are they getting for feed? If it is chick starter, especially chick starter with amprolium, I would see if I could find something else - I was able to get a turkey-waterfowl starter crumble from Agway.

There are poultry vitamins as well and I would consider a broad spectrum vitamin once every week or two.

Some folks do well with brewer's yeast - a sprinkling over the food. It is less measurable, perhaps, but I think I recently calculated that a tablespoon per day would provide a little less than 25 mg of niacin - let me see if I can find that post, so don't quote me on that right now.

1 person likes this.
  4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Try giving your duckling Nutri Drench. It is supposed to work better than just vitamins.

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Even if it has to do with the crested gene still start her on vitamins especially vitamins with the B's in it. Can't hurt and hopefully will help. Don't give up hope they can pull through amazingly when she isn't with you and you want to keep her upright try making a small towel into a donut shape and place her inside it this will keep her upright. Make sure to let her have exercise though to build up her leg muscles. even warm water therapy with supervision will help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. FowlPrincess

Jan 18, 2014
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thank you everyone! She is doing much better today. Still wobbly on her feet, but she can stand and walk around a little without much help. We will keep up the vitamins!

[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a cutie, and a rather large crest too makes her look like she has a winter hat on. I'm happy to hear she is making improvements, keep up the TLC and vitamins. Even when you see her 100% I would still put the vitamins in her water a couple times a week just to keep from a relapse. at least till 10-12 weeks old, I use vitamins when they are going through molt and 1X a week at other times.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. FowlPrincess

Jan 18, 2014
    Sebastopol, CA
    Update - She is better. We have now isolated the issue to this: when she preens herself and stretches her head under or over her body, she seems to have a mini seizure and falls over. She does really well unless she is preening. Good appetite, very friendly and engaging with us and the other duckling and chicks. We are doing vitamins in the water and food, which has helped. I also ordered some nutrition drench. Has anyone seen this issue with the stretching of the neck?

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good observation. I don't have cresteds, hope someone can confirm what you are seeing.

10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    The crested mallard I had would fall over when she stretched her neck, but did not exactly have a seizure. She is doing a little better and is still active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by