3 week old cross beak with enlarged crop needs help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by treehouse flock, Mar 21, 2013.

1. treehouse flock

treehouse flock New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I have my first time flock of 3 chicks. Seems like a special chick has a seriously crossed beak. Started to notice at 3 days old and it is pretty severe but, she is eating like crazy on chick starter. She doesn't seem to like yogurt or any other mash I make her but, seems intent on the crumble. I have been monitoring her breastbone daily to see if she is putting on some weight. Today when I felt it I was alarmed by a lump that I later found out was her crop - phew. But now I am wondering if it is too large or a problem. She held her head up to me today and kept opening her crooked beak. Otherwise she is peeping and has good energy. I will check her in the morning but given she is always hungry due to the longer time it takes her to scoop her food, I would hate to deprive her of food for a day as she seems to need extra to keep up with her sisters. The 2 other birds are now noticeably bigger :).

Any advice is welcome and thank you to all the posters on cross beaks as they have been very helpful so far.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]sometimes chicks with one defect have other problems on the inside - you could try posting on fht emergencies-diseases, illness thread and mention that she keeps opening her beak. There is a slight possibility that she has gape worm which is NOT related to cross beak.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, treehouse Flock, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Sorry to hear about your cross beak chick! I have never had a bird in that condition but I have read about it in the forums before. Type in cross beak or crossbeak in the BYC search bar - you should get a lot of results where you can rad what others have done. Good luck and best wishes!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Yike! Sorry to hear that. I have had experience with crooked beaks before and I am sorry to say that all of mine have always died. Either of starvation or dehydration. It was hard but my family and I decided to put down any more crossbeaks we get depending on severity. Best of Luck.

6. treehouse flock

treehouse flock New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks everyone, when I checked her crop this morning it had gone down significantly. I may have had a unnecessary crop emergency :). Segregating her for feasting seems to be working and the forums have been really helpful. Will take the advice mentioned and not give up on her til she gives up. She's got such a great little personality and flies right out of the brooder and perches on top as soon as I take the screen off. No lack of energy that's for sure. Thanks again!

Megan, did you ever try any of the calc phos or bioplasma remedies? I am thinking about trying that as they are not to pricy and easy to get here.

7. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm afraid not! I don't think I have ever even heard of those! Thanks I'll have to look it up! And glad your little guy is doing better!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by