3 week old Faverolle punctured by chicken wire fencing! PICS!

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My 3 week old Faverolle got caught in chicken wire fencing that was used around our garden. She was free ranging with her Mama and got caught on a 1 inch long wire end that was sticking out. It punctured the top of her thigh and appeared to go in about 1/4-1/2". I pulled her gently off of it, and she is quite lethargic. She wasn't there very long, I don't think, as I was working out in the yard and heard her start peeping loudly. What should I do to clean/doctor her? We are SO SO sad this has happened!

Last edited:
What do you have on hand to clean it with? I swear by a product called vetericyn but I know not everyone has it around! I'd say gently irrigate the puncture wound with something non-irritating (I wouldn't use peroxide- it can kill healthy skin and hurt like the dickens! Maybe even just super diluted antibacterial hand soap), dry the baby off and put something on it to guard from flies if you're some place where it's fly season.. I use blue kote. Can she walk? If so, I'd put her back w/ mama and keep an eye on her. If she can't walk, I'd put her some place where she can see and be seen by mama but is safe from predators. Best of luck to you and your flock!

Thank you TeamChaos! I didn't have vetericyn, or blue kote, but I did have an antibacterial salve that I put on it after I rinsed the wound. She can walk, with difficulty, so I put her with her Mama and hatchlings in a large brooder out of the heat and she is eating and drinking well. Mama seems sensitive to her, and has been sitting on her a lot. Fingers crossed that she recovers!

Back
Top Bottom