3 week old GLW - male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aschassberger, Jul 12, 2010.

1. aschassberger

aschassberger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hi there, I have six chicks - all three weeks old and all different breeds. This little GLW has the shortest tail and feather growth out of all of them... which may not mean anything since they're all different, I just don't know. What are some signs of either male of female GLW chicks? Any guesses on which this one might be? Thanks for your help! (I should add that she came from MPC sexed as a female, hopefully!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

added a third pic... she moves fast!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Looks a lot like my SLW hen at that age. I wouldn't worry yet [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I dunno, those legs are looking pretty beefy. Too early to be sure, but if I had to place a bet, I'd say male.

4. aschassberger

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Oh thank you. Looking at her in the pictures - she looks more female to me... she just looks more like a roo when I compare her to the others I have (australorp, easter egger, sussex, barred rock, brahma). thanks!

5. aschassberger

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Quote:Oh great, beefy legs? That's a boy sign? Now I'm thinking my EE might be a boy... those are harder to tell though, right? until they are much older?

6. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I'm trying to figure mine out as well. They must be about the same age. Do you have an updated photo you could post so we could compare? Go to my thread and tell me what you think based on what you've learned. I know, you're probably just as confused as me. Mine were hatched around June 13.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=379647

7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Not sure if this is true with all GLW, but this is what happened with mine. My roo actually was the first to feather out & mature. I could already tell by that age that it was a bow because his wattles were growing & his comb was bright red. I had 5 hens & 1 roo. Your's looks just like all oy hens did at that age. The roo looked much older because he matured much quicker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by