3 week old Golden Comet RIR Mixed chicks PICS!

ForgottenGlen

Chirping
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Raeford, NC
Okay, these are my first chicks! I have these mixed chicks, all born on the same day, and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I got them at one week. They all started out light yellow with darker yellow heads, and a couple of darker yellow stripes, except for the darkest one which was dark yellow and brown all over when I got her.
DSC03592.jpg

At 2 weeks, the dark chick is the first to feather out, and some of the other chicks are following suit.
DSC03597.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks, and they are really feathering out. Dark brown chick now has brown/red feathers with gold and black flecks. A couple of the yellow chicks are growing in reddish feathers, and some chicks are staying with the light yellow feathers.
DSC03623.jpg

DSC03619.jpg

DSC03621.jpg

DSC03633.jpg

DSC03634.jpg

DSC03632.jpg

DSC03630.jpg

Since Golden Comets are a hybrid, and they have been mixed with RIR, does anyone have any idea what these chicks are going to end up looking like? I didn't realize feather color changed so drastically! Also, I'm taking all bets on pullets or cockerels. If anything, I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Thanks SteveBaz! Maybejoey, which one do you think is a cockrel? I thought the white/yellow one with the fluffier tail than everyone else might be.

Sorry to read about your babies Steve. Over my trial and error raising chickens, I have lost quite a few, and I always feel sad.
hugs.gif
We've never had predator problems, just owner not knowing how to fix this problems.
he.gif
We learn.

nice pics ee mother hen....i think i see 5 roos just looking at the larger combs and legs...but still hard to tell at this age..are these chicks out of a rir rooster?..i have some ee's from my golden comets the same age.i think mine hatched the 20 th of sept ...what a neat deal...if i can figure out how to post them i will post some pics for comparison...they are out of a wheaton ameracuana and some comets with a couple from my br and a couple from my rir hen and a couple from my ee hen.....i have been trying to figure out what sex...and what color they will change to also ...looks like a great bunch to me..
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks ronniewayne! I love my EEs, they are so sweet and nice! One of my EEs even lays blue eggs, when she feels like laying an egg, once a week usually, lol! I got these chicks from a friend of mine, fair trade for a bag of layer pellets I think.
celebrate.gif
I don't know if the RIR was the rooster or the pullet, I'll have to ask him next time I see him. I have tried to guess by looking at combs before, and was totally wrong, I have been looking at their tail feathers and seeing which ones have more "hen like" tail feathers, but the legs can be a tell tale sign too. It is very hard to tell at this age. I would love to see your pics!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom