3 week old guinea with hurt leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jecook, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jecook

Jecook In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Philadelphia Mississippi
    I really need some helpful advice. I have a 3 week old guinea fowl that I think has a broken or dislocated leg. She is hopping around with her siblings and eating and drinking alright, but her leg is swollen and she won't put any pressure on it. My husband thinks we should just put her outta her misery and I think that as long as she doesn't seem to be suffering, to leave her be. I really don't know what to do. Do I see a vet, wait and see if she heals but limps forever, or do as my husband wants? Any advice???

Attached Files:

2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    WVduckchick likes this.
  3. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    @CapricornFarm I don't know if you can help or not, but I know you have guineas.

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I don't know if there is anything you can do other than to just let it have a chance to heal. It is definitely swollen but does not look like there is a slipped tendon. As a last resort you might want to separate it from the others but that might just upset it even more.

A guinea can live with just one leg and still get around very well. If it was mine, I would just let it be and give it time for it to have a chance to heal. The most that I would do is to maybe make a splint for it if it seems to be out of normal position.

Jecook likes this.
  5. Jecook

Jecook In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Philadelphia Mississippi
    Thank you so much for the advice, it makes me feel better. I was really stressing. I will definitely keep a close eye on her and make sure she's doing ok at all times. Except for her leg, she seems to be doing well.

R2elk likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree with R2elk.
    Only other thing I might do is a possible warm Epsom salt soak.

R2elk and Jecook like this.
  7. Jecook

Jecook In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Philadelphia Mississippi
    Ok, I'll try that when I get off work tomorrow. Anything to help her get better. Thank you so much

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: