1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old ISA Brown Pullets... not sure if one's a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by margaret1657, Apr 3, 2016.

1. margaret1657

margaret1657 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    So we got baby ISA Brown chicks from tsc a few weeks ago, and they're supposed to all be females. But, now that they're about 3 weeks old, they're starting to get some permanent feathers. I've noticed that 5 of the 6 are getting normal dark brown feathers, but I know they're sex-linked, so I'm kind of suspicious of one of them in particular that's growing white feathers, and I think it might be a rooster, but I'm not positive. My family is beginner at raising chickens, so we're not sure if this is a rooster. Does anybody know?

[​IMG]Here's what most of them look like, starting to get dark brown feathers so I'm fairly confident that 5 of them are hens.

[​IMG]This is the one I'm suspicious of. I've heard that these isa browns are sex-linked. Is this a rooster???

Thank you. :)

2. NorthGeogia

NorthGeogia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    I got ISA Browns from TSC a couple of years ago. They said they were sold as straight run. I said ISA's are sex linked. They didn't know anything about them. Approximately 50 were pure white, while six had some coloring. I picked the 6. They all turned out to be pullets. Some had a lot of color, one had a white head and colored body, one had a colored head and a white body. So, as long as it has some color, its a pullet. Otherwise, sorry.

3. NorthGeogia

Jan 12, 2013
    By the way...they consistently lay one large egg every day. An excellent choice for a layer. I have a three year old ISA hen from a previous flock. She still gives 4 or 5 huge, although somewhat distorted, eggs per week.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What color is the mostly white one's chest? Golden or reddish feathering would mean it could be a pullet. However, if the chest is as white as the rest of the body, it is without a doubt a cockerel.

5. margaret1657

Apr 3, 2016
    Thank you for replying! :)
    It has some golden brown on it's chest, but does that mean it's conclusively a pullet? Because it only has a little bit of brown on it's chest.

6. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Can you get a photo when they are a bit older, with better lighting?

7. margaret1657

Apr 3, 2016
    yeah, I can get another photo this weekend and post it to the thread.

8. margaret1657

Apr 3, 2016
    the one I'm suspecting only has a tiny bit of golden brown on its chest. Is it possible it could still be a roo? Is it possible for an isa brown rooster to have a little bit of golden brown at all?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  9. NorthGeogia

Jan 12, 2013
    Hmm, to be sure you'll have to wait it out. Keep us posted on what develops. Thanks.

10. Chicken-Eye

Chicken-Eye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Chickendom
    My Coop
    Exactly the way I felt when I bought 2 chicks when I was completely new to chickens. One of them was a lighter more creamy white and the other had more grey around the edges. They turned out to be White Leghorn cockerels. Ever since then, it's been a mystery to me.

I'd like to the see the birds older in these photos until I lay out all my predictions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by