3 week old kid refusing to eat - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Apr 7, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I have a 3 week old Boer buckling that has eaten 2.5 ounces of milk in the past 24 hours. We have not changed his milk brand, amount per feeding (10 oz), or the number of feedings (3-4 daily). He has been eating with gusto before and now seems to have little interest in the milk. He is nibbling on grass and a little grain. His stools are normal, and he acts just the same - a fiesty little boy. I have felt him over and don't see or feel any signs of bloat or pain.

What could cause this?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Is he utd on his cd/t shots? does he have a temp at all? when standing still does he stand hunched ? I would give him a little baking soda ball ...just a little with water and give it to him. If he has a temp at all maybe some banamine. Have you wormed him yet? or treated for cocci? I know lots of question but it helps to know whats going on...

3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Ok, let me see if can answer these all.
    1. He has not had his CD/T shot yet.
    2. He does not have a temperature.
    3. He DOES stand hunched over when he is standing, with his tail down.
    4. He has not been wormed (we use the FAMACHA method, and according to that, he's ok)
    5. He has not been treated for Cocci.

Does this help?

4. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    3 weeks is when we start cocci prevention treatments, worm, and give our kids their first Covexin 8 shot. Standing hunched up usually indicates a tummy ache, which could be from a million things. I would give him 20ml CD Antitoxin SC, and 20 ml by mouth on an empty stomach if he was here, and start his vaccinations/worming/treatments.

5. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Thank you! I will go by today and get some new supplies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by