3 week old light brahma unhappy, loud, stressed. help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a light brahma, 3 weeks old, and 6 other chicks along with her. I noticed today a large noise coming from my garage, I could hear it from inside... I go out there and there she is, screaming, when she screamed her wings were spread and her anus was sticking out. Other chicks were pecking at it and I quickly scooped her out. I have heard they can get clogged up with pasty butt but I've never experienced it. She seemed okay, it didn't seem clogged, I took a warm wash cloth and brushed her back end off and picked this piece of dried poop off of her, it made her bleed a little. I applied neosporin and let her back in. She isn't being loud anymore but I am still very concerned... is this a sign of anything? Maybe I'm over reacting and it's nothing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Watch them for a little bit and if she still gets oicked on pull her out buy her self... she should be fine

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is better to hold them with their little bums under warm running water. Do this until the poop softens. Then, rather than pulling the poop off, gently squeeze the poop until it crumbles off.
    Sorry to be so graphic, but this method eliminates the pulling of the feathers issue. I also like to lube up their little fanny's with vasoline or cooking oil following. Chicks are great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by