3 week old Magpie not growing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmama84, Apr 6, 2017.

1. duckmama84

duckmama84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    3 weeks ago we bought 6 new ducklings. My husband got himself two Rouens from TSC, I got a Magpie and a Cayuga for my birthday from a local farm that gets shipments in (unknown source) and my son and daughter each bought their own ducklings (another Magpie and a Blue Runner) for their 4H program. They are all eating and drinking great, enjoy their time in the water and so far, don't nitpick at one another. We thought we noticed something different about my Magpie, and this week it's definitely been more noticeable. The Rouens are huge, next the Cayuga, Blue Runner and the one Magpie, but mine still looks like she was just hatched. She gets along just fine though, doesn't appear sickly, not sneezing or not eating/drinking. Just super tiny.
    This is our 2nd year raising a flock, so we're still learning. Are there "runts" when it comes to ducklings?
    Once I get my son on the bus this morning, I will go snap a picture and post it.
    Thanks!

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yes a picture would be helpful.
    I have 10 runner ducklings- 4 weeks last monday.
    There is noticable size differences.the fawn and white have been larger since day one. The chocolates have been the tiniest. Still are tiny but they are growing and developing feathers, just smaller than everyone else.
    Rouens are large breed So that size diff is prob obvious.
    But shouldnt be much different from the runner.
    But if its still the size of a newly hatched than there must be a problem. What kind of feed are the eating? And are you adding niacin?

3. duckmama84

Apr 17, 2016
    Mechanicsville, Virginia

We started off with the DuMor Chick 24% starter and we just purchased Southern States all grain start n grow (10lb bag of the DuMor was the same price as a 25lb bag of the SS brand). Both say they have niacin supplement in them, should we give them an extra supplement of it? I also have brewers yeast, which I read was good for their bones and legs/feet.
    Here's the best shot I could get, they're preening so it was kind of difficult to get a picture of any of them standing still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. duckmama84

Apr 17, 2016
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    Here's Dolly after she's done preening for the most part.

[​IMG]

5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    aww sad, she is so tiny. yes i would supplement with the brewers yeast. i use 1 tablespoon per cup of feed.
    maybe give her xtra time supervised to be sure she is eating all she wants. thats good no one is picking on her.[​IMG] thats good she is still active. i dont know what else i would eo for her, i gyess as long as eating , drinking and acting normal just see how she does.
    i kniw some others on here use different poultry vitamins and stuff to help weakee chicks. hopefully they will be along to offer advice . i dont know how to tag them
    @misslydia

6. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

When we got our first ducklings last summer from Meyers, we could tell within the first week that one of them was significantly smaller than the others. "Little Welshie" didn't seem to absorb nutrients properly and ended up with a niacin deficiency even though their food had more than the required. I had to mix up special food for her with extra niacin and NutriDrench, plus both in her water along with unpasteurized AVC. She developed leg problems from being run over all the time by the "big ducks." We knew she would probably never lay eggs and that most likely she wouldn't last through the winter because she just wasn't strong enough but we gave her a good life anyway. I would bring her special treats like tomatos and if there weren't many dandelion leaves (yes, I picked dandelions for my ducks) then I always saved them for her.

Here's a photo of the ducklings at age 4-ish weeks (please excuse the poopy messy brooder):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

@Miss Lydia

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She sure is tiny but adorable. If she is doing all the normal duckling things and getting a good amount to eat by herself. [Watch to make sure] then all i can think of is maybe adding some Poultry Nutri drench to their water. Actually you can also give Dolly some right into her bill it goes into the tummy into their blood stream and it is awesome stuff.
    Directions on bottle.
    I use a needle less syringe and just put it right inside the bill a little at time time.

9. duckmama84

Apr 17, 2016
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    Update on little Dolly:
    She's still tiny but slowly growing. Not nearly as fast as the others or the other Magpie, which I assume came from the same shipment. She's just more yellow where you can see the other Magpie (aka TriTips) has started to lighten up in those areas.
    Thank you everyone who offered advice! We're still relatively new to raising ducklings and her being so little just threw us for a loop!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. duckmama84

Apr 17, 2016
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    Here's another update:
    So we put all our girls outside and kept Dolly inside, thinking she was just going to be a house duck, but she didn't seem happy. So we decided to let her spend some time outside and even sleep in the new duck house. It was the best decision we made! She has grown, put on weight and finally started to turn white!

Here she is :) IMG_20170627_152041_203.jpg IMG_20170627_152041_203.jpg IMG_20170627_152041_203.jpg

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by