3 Week Old Partridge Rock Chicks have Coccidia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Orange Ribbon, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Had one chick die this morning and two more late this afternoon. Another is sick and noticed it had bloody poop, so I got on here and figured out what the problem is. I am heading out in the morning to get some medication for them. I hope it isn't too late. I have a couple questions, and I sure would appreciate some info.

I am planning to switch over to medicated feed. Should I wait until after I treat the birds with Corid/Sulmet before giving them the feed?

Also, I have a large flock of chickens that are around 4 to 5 months old. Should I treat them also? And should I switch them over to medicated feed? None of them have been sick so I'm hoping their immunity is good, but what is the best thing I should do for them?

I am also going to get some Probios to give them. I found a post where someone advised giving the antibiotic for 7 days and the probiotic for 14 days every other day.

One more question: I have some hatchery birds coming in the mail this week. They will be kept in a brooder for awhile, of course, but what do you suggest I do for them besides start them on medicated feed?

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    If there is any chance that your bigger girls could have had contact with your sick chickies, I would treat them with the coccidiostat. Better safe than sorry.....once the babies are sick, I don't know if you can treat them......When you go to your farm supply store, ask. Or call the vet and ask. There are several websites with resources you can email for directions. We all make mistakes, that's how we learn.......Be certain you give your new babies the medicated chick feed for 9 weeks.....for a treat, mine LOVE plain yougurt with some berries or raisins mixed in, I consider that probiotics.......Good luck!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In all probability the older birds have been exposed to the cocci and their immmune systems have control over it now. The cohort (group) suffering the outbreak should fed and now water immediately with your medications. To cut losses I have resorted to addition of electrolytes.

For younger chicks, thoroughly clean brooder, preferably with bleach and use medicated feed. Depending on how aggressive your cocci strain is and the resistance your birds have, you can either use medicated feed only or also use medicated water. With my dominiques I can do only former and get by but with games all the big guns have to be brought out. It is transition from brooder to outdoor environment having contact with ground that I have come to regard as the critical time.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey, thanks guys for your replies. Sulmet is the only thing anyone carries around here, so I got some of that into the water this morning. So far 4 have died, but the rest seem to be doing fine. First time I ever had a chicken illness. Hopefully I'll stay on top of it and not have any more of that kind anyway. Thanks again, I sure appreciate it. [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Watch your birds as Sulmet exposure gets underway. It is harsh so birds in poor condition may decline further. For my birds, it takes a good week for them to bounce out of the funk even after cocci under control. Birds must repair damage to digestive tract and replenish energy reserves and rebuild lost muscle mass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by