1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

3 week old pecks me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thefooladifamily, Jun 27, 2010.

1. thefooladifamily

thefooladifamily In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    I have two groups of chicks. Group A and Group B.

Group A is now 10 weeks old and were/are hardly fed treats-- just this week were put into their coop. They don't peck my hand ever-- they do however show interest in my rings, but no big deal. On the other hand, this group is much more shy than Group A. I put my hand near them and they run:( I hope they like me someday?

Group B who are 3 weeks old now, get more treats as I have discovered through BYC that is the way to their heart and they are still in the house with me. Group B is also MUCH more aggressive. When I put my hand in the brooder they peck at my hand, fly trying to get out and are just much more active. Running around going nuts.

Anyways, my point is- will Group B, the ones who have been receiving treats be so aggressive forever? I don't hand feed them the treats- I just put them in the brooder and watch them go nuts. I even put my hand in there and they all go nuts pecking me. Doesn't hurt, but as they get older will it?

Also, will Group A ever decide to come around and quit being shy? Is food the only trick to helping them not be afraid?

I feel like I have messed up. One group I didn't give enough treats to and now this other I have created monsters. LOL!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

what breeds are these chicks? some breeds like brahma are more doscile and don't peck hands as much. Leghorns on the other hands are flighty and will run around and be crazy. Any breed will peck your hands/toes/ legs/ jsut about anything they can peck. Also age can play a factor. Over how long i've been raising chickens. chicks seem to be a lot more willing to take on your hand than a full grown hen would that knows the bugs on the ground are better to peck at.

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Not sure with "group B" you said you only put the treats in but take your hand out. They might be pecking to see what your hand is like or they are afraid and peckign to make it go away. My chicks, my first 3, 1 nice, liked attention. The other two especially my orp didn't like my hand [​IMG] even at an older age they ran from me when I tried to put them up, but once they got close to laying and started to sqaut they become calmer...and them sqautting makes it easier to pick them up and put them where they should be.
    I have silkies now, about 2 months, 2 silkies 1 mutt, the silkies are afraid of me and the roo-mutt runs like he's afraid but idk why he doesn't mind being held.

Maybe next time you feed treats leave your hand in and show its not threatening to them or anything. Do you hold them at all? Maybe taking a few out and interacting with them might help [​IMG]

Otherwise wait til they get older and start sqautting [​IMG]

4. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Let them be Chickens for Pete's sake. I dont understand why so many folks have this pathological need to put their hands on these birds all the time. Leave the poor little things alone make sure you check on them regularly dont move quickly, they will know soon enough who brings food and water. Chasing the poor things all over a brooder when they are terrified is just cruel.

Let them grow up a bit, they will all have unique personality's some will like being around people others will not.

JMO

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    The OP never said anything about chasing them around or anything, just putting their hand in. Maybe they just want help to know the chicks aren't going to act this way as older which would create a bad situation with flighty birds like that..

6. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    The two that are super aggressive are a Leghorn and a White Rock. Very cure but whoa they are dominant.

I don't chase them with my hands. I do however get pecked at (hard for a 3 week old) if I reach in there for any reason.

Yes, I am letting them be chickens. My pet chickens however and I don't want them to be mean if I can prevent it.

Going to look up Leghorn behavior...that one gets the others going.

7. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    I do hold them...probably not enough but typically every other day or so for a few minutes...

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had a few pullets (and 1 roo) bite my finger. For mine, it's been a dominance thing. When I reach for them they would fluff up their neck feathers and try to bite my finger. 1 Ameraucana pullet didn't like that I was putting the rest in the coop for the night and bit my finger when trying to put them in. (they were trying to sleep in the run) Every time a chicken does that to me, I take my index finger and tap them on the top of the head. (not hard, just enough to get their attention) If they keep coming at me, I do it again until they back down. I have not had any issues with these birds since.

9. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have raised several baby chicks at different times. I have treated them all the same. I always give treats and handle them a good bit. Only had 1 or 2 that did not mind being held. They all at three weeks flew around and acted nutty. Especially when I put my hand in the cage. One of them tried to peck me b/c she knew that a strange thing came in the coop with something really tasty most of the time. Hey it is worth a try. One of my chicks that never liked being held is now the one most likely to let me pick her up now that she is grown. Chickies are really not smart enough to figure out being aggresive for any reason. They just are what they are and do what they do. And they each have different personalities. Love em. They are great.

10. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    Crazy but tonight I went to get their water bottle. All pecking at me as usual but this time one flew up to my hand and bit (pecked) my thumb and didn't let go as I was removing my hand from the brooder, so it was dangling from my thumb! Sure it was only hanging on for a few seconds, but I just don't understand this. They are all so nuts that if I wanted to peck one back that pecked me I probably couldn't because they are all running around being flighty going so nuts.
    Thus bizarre behavior seems to be accelerating...
    Just confused and open to all opinions and advice. By the way, when I individually hold them they are 'normal'.
    Odd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: