1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old Polish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinasculpture, Apr 25, 2011.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi, are these old enough to tell? The crests are very different, #1 slopes to the back and #2 is very much straight up from the front. Any help in telling gender would be great! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've been told the straight up one like #2 means it's probably a roo. I don't know for sure though.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, you can't sex them this way. If they're quality birds, sure, but I'm sure they're hatchery birds, so crests will vary, especially with there being a small chance of a vault even being there, it throws things off. (the vault is the bump on a chick's head that increases the roundness and size of its crest)

In most cases, the vault is what makes the crest stick upward instead of sweep back.

4. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    OK, so since they are just hatchery stock, the "mohawks" shape doesn't really say much definitively? We were hoping for just one boy, but I guess we'll wait for a crow. THANKS!!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Actually, you can wait earlier than that. Post photos of them for us when they're fully feathered, probably around 3-4 months old. Even a little over 2 months old I can usually sex by color patterning. [​IMG]

6. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    OK, will do! They are such cute little chickens and so outgoing. We are enjoying them very much, but were wishing to find out if one would need to be re-homed. We don't have a roo yet, but with only 10 hens, 2 would be a problem. Thanks again! I'll post again when they are fully feathered!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by