3 week old puppy with diarrhea?

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
So I have four 3 week old puppies who have all seemed to be doing fine. Up until yesterday evening when I came home I noticed some very soft stool that looked like diarrhea. And then again early this morning I saw more. Is this "diarrhea" caused by over eating, parasites, etc...? 3 out of my 4 puppies are very playful now, while one of them is alot more sleepy. He will play, but just not as much. He is less active. I think he is the one with the soft stools. He seems sleepy all the time but as soon as he sees mama, he is the first one to rush towards her and eat, and is always the last one to finish eating. So he is eating very well.
IMG_20190722_040213.jpg

My nearest vet wants me to take all the puppies and charge me for each to examine which I don't have $75 for each puppy.

I bought some dewormer and I was looking through his stool and it looks almost like lentils in his poop but of course I know it isn't lentils.
IMG_20190722_163117.jpg

My nearest vet wants me to take all the puppies and charge me for each to examine which I don't have $75 for each puppy.

I bought some dewormer and I was looking through his stool and it looks almost like lentils in his poop but of course I know it isn't lentils.View attachment 1853177
He wants $75 to examine each puppy??? That is highway robbery. Surely you can find another vet.

IF the puppy is eating/acting ok, you can get some wormer at tractor supply. I would recommend pyrantel or fenbendazole.
Diarrhea can deplete a young puppy very quickly, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time messing around.
It can be caused by over eating or parasites, but also viruses such as parvovirus or coronavirus, which can be fatal in short order, and will affect the other puppies.
I would bring just this pup to the vet and check a fecal. If its positive for parasites, most wormers are available at feed stores.

It's the only vet nearby within an hour. I live in the country. So yeah they are ripping people off. It's also a pet hospital so prices are higher.

I bought some wormer and gave it to them 15 hours ago, so far the puppy hasn't had diarrhea in 8 hours which I guess is good. So far only him and his sister have pooped since the worming and I saw worms. Their other two siblings haven't pooped yet since worming.

It's the only vet nearby within an hour. I live in the country. So yeah they are ripping people off. It's also a pet hospital so prices are higher.

I bought some wormer and gave it to them 15 hours ago, so far the puppy hasn't had diarrhea in 8 hours which I guess is good. So far only him and his sister have pooped since the worming and I saw worms. Their other two siblings haven't pooped yet since worming.
Just a comment. I live out in the boonies and I have also lived in urban areas. Neither my current vet nor any clinic I have ever patronized in the past has ever charged any where near that. That includes the upscale clinic my mother used.

Back
Top Bottom