1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old red star male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dgrundy14, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this red star is male or female? She's about 3 weeks old and I'm a newbie to the chicken world. I only want hens for eggs said don't know what I'll do if this is a rooster.

Thanks !
    Anxiously waiting for your responses!!

2. stacibful

stacibful Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Looks like a pullet to me

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Where did you get it from? Source makes all difference with sexlinks.

4. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    We have a local breeder and she said it was a she but I just wanted to make sure since it's my first to have chicks. Thanks!

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    See, that's a bit of an issue. Red Stars are not really a breed. They are a cross breed, and not everyone realizes that when you breed two 'red stars' you are basically breeding two mixed breed birds, and the sexlinking does not work in further generations.
    Is this 'breeder' someone that is very knowledgeable when it comes to sexlink genetics, or is this just a person with chickens and happens to have a rooster or two? Big difference. Especially when it comes to breeding sexlinks.
    This is a wait and see. We can't be sure of the source's knowledge, so we can't be sure of the chick's gender.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

7. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    She looks like a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by