3 WEEK OLD RIPPING OFF ITS OWN BABY FUZZ

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2feathers, Apr 11, 2017.

1. new2feathers

new2feathers New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I have a 2-3 week old chick. It's starting to grow its grown up feathers and already has a decent amount of grown up wings and tail feathers. However, I noticed that it has been nipping and cutting off little tiny peices of its baby fuzz from everywhere and specially from underneath it's wings, like in this picture for example. I've never had chicks before so I was wondering if this is normal, like maybe it's just trying to "prune" it's baby fur to make room for it's grown up feathers? I really don't know, but it does it quite frequently, about every few minutes or so.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. emkawa

emkawa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Minnetonka MN
    My Coop
    I gave my 2 week old chicks some sand and they are rolling in it and basically sanding the fuzzies off and new feathers are coming in. It seems like they are "teething" but it's feather growth.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Chickadee

The Chickadee Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    Yes, this is pretty normal. I have 5 chicks of my own that are starting to grow feathers, and they have been preening like crazy! It is probably pretty itchy to lose all that fluff, so preening comes as a natural impulse.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

They do a lot of preening......and the down, or baby fuzz, also falls out naturally as those new feathers come in.
    That fuzz will cling to every surface all over your house along with the sheathing preened off the new feathers growing in.
    Why I brood outside after one week.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by