3 week old scratching back of neck bare and raw.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TripMomma, Feb 26, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a 3 week old welsummer in a brooder with one other chick (salmon faverolle). Yesterday I noticed a bald spot on the back of her neck...it is not a bleeding wound yet, but it did look red and a bit irritated. I have been trying to watch and make sure it was not the roommate plucking her, and I don't think it is. She seems to scratch a lot. I have a total of 7 chicks in this room, in 3 different brooders, and no one else seems to be itchy. I looked at her vent, it looks normal...no bugs that I can see, but these are my first chicks so I am not 100% on what I am looking for.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    It may be mites causing the itch and they are tiny little boogers. Get some poultry or Seven dust and put on them that will get rid of the mites. Also you might want to get some Blue-Kote to put on the irratated spot. If it becomes red the others will peck it and the Blue-Kote will treat it and it's blue so they won't pick it.

3. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by