3 week old sikver lace wyandotte keeps squatting on the ground?!?

JusteenF

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
North Carolina
I'm a new chick momma and have 6 three week old chicks. 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 silver lace Wyandottes, 2 golden lace Wyandottes. We were told they were all female (I know, there's a chance they could be males). The one in particular (silver lace Wyandotte) I'm wondering if it's a male as well as it keeps squatting to the ground like it's laying down but only for a second or two and then scratches its feet all around and gets up and does it all over. Is this normal behavior? His one is also super friendly and jumps in my hand and lays down.

Greetings from Kanas, JusteenF, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined dour community! I think it's going to take a picture to be definitive. And three weeks might still be a little young to tell. You can try posting a photo of the one in question in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
celebrate.gif

Could it be your chick is trying to dust bathe? They love doing that, with practice comes perfection. See if any other chicks are mimicking that one.

Ahhhhh I should've thought of that! Dang it now I feel silly. I wonder now if that's what she was doing. I should've known it was. Thank you for the suggestion. I have a feeling that's what it was now.

G’Day from down under JusteenF
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom