3 week old silkie chick acting strange, curling neck under

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchok, May 12, 2009.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    This little chick has been totally fine and healthy and suddenly today starting bending her neck waaaaaaaay under her body and falling over. At first I thought it was because I put her in the bright sunlight, but I just looked and she did it again in her brooder tonight. Is this crookneck? Is there anything I can do? If I give vitamins to her for it as I"ve read her on BYC, can I give it to all of them or do I need to separate her? How is this caused?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Does she kind of look like she is scratching her underside and then backs in to things? Our Australorp did this and the intelligent BYC said it was wry/crooked neck. Everyone recommended the Poly Vi Sol Infant vitamins (Enfamil is the brand I bought). It did work for us. I thought our chick would die (she was bad), but she is 7 weeks now and you cannot tell the difference between her and the 5 other Australorps. We secluded her (because the other chicks were pecking her) and gave her vitamins for a week. She continued to improve and she successfully rejoined the rest of the chicks!

Julie

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I know a rooster that had been bitten by a black widow spider, and to this day he still has that. Not to mention he almost died so from fall to spring in chicken ICU and a whole lot of Teranycin and some other nameless med later he, except for that, is happy.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

If that chick is getting picked on by the others, then separate it. Otherwise, I think you can just put drops of Poly-vi-sol vitamins on it's beak a few times a day for at least a week.

There's no reason to treat the others if they're not sick, but adding vitamins/electrolytes to their water wouldn't hurt.

5. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have "Hi-Vite Drops" that I had for my sick kitty that I was wondering if it would work for this, as it's too late to go out looking for the other vitamins needed. I do have vit. E that I put on her beak to get the process started tonight. THe Hi Vite Drops have vit. A, B, D, E, K, Niacin, D-panthenol, Iron, and copper. Do you think I should use this tonight or wait till morning to get the other drops you all are recommending?

Thank you!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Julie, yes, that's exactly how she's acting... thank you for your input. I really appreciate the advice.

7. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:She doesn't seem to be getting pecked by the other chicks. But she does get stomped on a bit if they shuffle around. She's the only silkie in the bunch so she's so tiny compared to the others.

Thanks for your advice!

8. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    does anyone know if the hi-vite drops might be safe and work for this problem? she's still not holding her head up very well.

thanks.

9. This sounds like "wry neck!" You will need to seperate it immediately as they can easily get stomped on by the other chicks(it is not contagious or a disease--just a deficency that can be fixed). Run to the store, buy some Polyvisol drops( you can buy this anywhere--grocery storem, walmart, etc in the infant or meds section). You will administer 1/4 dropperful 2x a day for the first few days...it looks horrible when they do this and scary, but easily cured. I have never seen a chick die from wry neck and all have recovered when given the drops consistently. Give him his own warm area with food and water. Be careful to only give him a small dish for water as they can drown while in their, "seizure like state."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    how long does it take once the vitamins are given to see results? i only have 2 silkies, and the other one is frantic being seperated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by