3 week old Silkie chick can't walk

Kscott45

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have a 3 week old Silkie chick that's been doing great but now it's walking on it's hocks, and flap it's wings to get around. I can bend both legs backward and it can pull each leg away from me pulling downward but can't stand up. Anyone have any suggestions this is my first time with Silkies and I would be grateful for any help.

Hello, I have been hatching chickens for years and I've had this happen before. If it is 3 weeks old it can't be splay leg. Can it move it's legs at all?

Very little, and almost no movement from it's hocks, but I can move both legs easy.

I'm sorry to here that :( try seperating the chick from the rest and keep it healthy. It could be something wrong with its spine. Some diseases can cause paralysis also. If conditions do not improve try putting a splint on it, or try feeding it calcium. If it doesn't get better then I would try a vet. Or in some cases they have to be put down. But if the chick has an illness it's probably causing paralysis. Has the chick been dropped at all or any way it could've been injured?

It should not be injured, I won't let the kids handle them. And I have rubber shelf liner for them to walk on so no slipping.

Back
Top Bottom