3 week old Silkie with tremors?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emsevers, May 17, 2010.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have 11, 3 week old silkies in a brooder. All seem to be doing fine except for this one. It seems to be having constant tremors or ticks. It eats and drinks fine, and it runs around with the other chicks. I've never seen something like this before. It's mainly in the head and neck. It will tilt it's head from side to side constantly. It almost reminds me of parkinsons type of symptoms. I'm wondering if this chick can possibly have a normal life apart from this. But I still have no idea what it could be.

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Ek, I'm not sure, I haven't heard that one yet. Sounds like it could be something neurological. Could be a vitamin deficiency of some sort? Maybe try upping its vitamin intake by giving it a couple drops of Poly-Vi-Sol (liquid baby vitamins) WITHOUT added iron for several days. And/or a couple drops of a vitamin E capsule. Couldn't hurt. Sorry not to be of more help, hopefully someone who has seen this before will chime in. Good luck!

3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Not sure of the proper term but silkies have this problem, I call it loose neck. I think it is a vitamin deff. problem. I've have 2 where the neck gets completely twisted and hangs on the ground. I have only found one thing that works. Others will tell you to cull it or give it poly vi sol.... list to me and in a 3 or so days it will be gone.
    Its called duramycin-10, its an antibotic.(got it at the local farm store) just take a small pea size and mix it with like 5ml of water and slowly dropper it into his mouth. oh and since yours is so young make that about 3 drops at a time and I do it in the morning and at night. in 3 days mine was fine. but was older then 3 weeks. Goodluck and hope it turns out ok [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies are born with a "soft" spot at the top of their crown from the way their skulls develop; if they're injured (another bird pecking them) in that spot as chicks, they can have a funny twitch or hold their heads funny at times.

5. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thank you all for the reply. I will have to try something. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by