3 Week Old Silkie Won't Stand/Walk today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wanda047, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I found one of my 3 week old Partridge Silkies just sitting in her brooder today and the other chicks just walking on top of her. I wasn't sure if she was injured/ill or just didn't care that the other chicks were trampling her. I picked her up and she appeared bright-eyed and alert and I saw no signs of injury. Since she is the smallest of the group, I decided to put her by herself for a while.

I just checked on her and she was still in the same spot I put her 2 hours ago. Once again I picked her up. This time I did notice that the toes on her left foot appear to be somewhat curled and this leg is sorta just hanging. I tried to stand her up and she isn't even making an attempt to stand. The leg does not appear broken, she just won't use it. She does not flinch or chirp as in pain when I examined the leg. The right foot/leg seems ok, she is moving it, and even gripped my finger with it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I would keep her seperated until we can get you an answer.... is she eating & drinking? Try to make sure she's doing that.. I hope someone else will chime in! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    It does not appear that the chick has been eating or drinking. I gave her fresh water and food when I separated her and it does not look like it's been touched. I did, just now, give her some sugar water with a syringe. She drank it, but not eagerly. She appears very sleepy, lethargic now, which earlier was not the case. Instead she was very alert and bright-eyed.

Poop looks normal. None of the other chicks are ill. I'm just at a lost as to what is wrong with the little chick.

Would appreciate some suggestions. I do not have any infant vitamins at the moment and it'll be tomorrow before I can get any.

4. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    If you have some eggs, I'd boil a couple and save back the egg yolks to mash into some water and put that against the side of her mouth. Do NOT put water into a bird's mouth towards the throat ever, but rather offer it at an angel to the beak, like a T only in amounts where they can tongue it back themselves. It's very easy to aspirate an ill bird.

I like to make a thin paste of water, egg, yogurt, crumbles - quite thin but not drippy. You can add karo or honey for a little energy. And you can use pedialyte or a little gatorade in a pinch for the water. You put that into the side of their mouth and they'll either swallow it, or you can remove it with a q-tip (keep one handy) so they don't choke. It'll boost her energy since she's too weak to eat on her own.

Is she thin? she probably hasn't been eating. Are these chicks from a Marek's vaccinated source, like a hatchery? Marek's is something to be ruled out, although I hope it's something else and can't quite rule out just plain weakness from another cause quite yet.

The riboflavin in some yogurt will help if it's a riboflavin deficiency. The vitamins, tomorrow, will help with others. I'd also pick up Vitamin E capsules. They'll be helpful for this bird and are good to have for the flock just in case.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Nicely said! [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    She is now pecking at her food some and definitely more alert, though still not making any attempt to stand. I have placed another chick (who is crippled) with her for company and she seems pleased about that. She is moving around the brooder some... scooting on her belly. All this is an improvement compared to earlier today.

Threehorses, you asked if this was a hatchery chick. NO... these are chicks I hatched from eggs from a BYC'er. This chick is the "runt" of the bunch. She has always been much smaller than the other chicks. She does not appear thin and I believe she's been eating well up until today. I'm just totally confused as to what is going on with her.

7. sammi

sammi Songster

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Id try and get the Poly-vi-sol asap..no iron...
    give the chick 2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week..tapering off for another week..

if the chick is laying, it would be good to make a sling or hammock using a dust face mask..making sure the vent is clear..
    make up the mix as three horse suggested.

keep warm..

what's wrong with the other chick?
    the infant vitamins might help with that one, too..
    the mix with yogurt and egg also...

8. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Does she try to hold the foot up? Could it be a slipped tendon?

9. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    what's wrong with the other chick?

The other chick has had issues since she hatched. Her little legs just never worked. We kept hanging on to her thinking that we could come up with a miracle cure. Nothing worked. In the meantime, the entire family got attached.

She likes to be where she can see the other chicks, but prefers to be alone where she doesn't get trampled. She's held and cuddled a lot and eats and drinks well. She also gets around fairly well, using her wings for balance. She never appears to be in any pain or suffering. If she ever does, then the decision to cull her will be a quick and speedy one. Luckily, she's never had a problem with pasty butt, which I figured she'd have. She has numerous times been a companion for an injured or ill chick, so she's earning her keep.

Does she try to hold the foot up? Could it be a slipped tendon?

When holding her, she tends to let the foot and leg "hang". While examining the foot just now though, she did pull the leg up towards her body, pulling the foot away from me. I'll be heading to the store soon to get the vitamins. Hopefully the vitamins will help. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. We'll see what happens.​

10. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Having read about the other bird, I still suspect deficiencies. This sounds so very much like a pullet I had who eventually recovered with spot supplementing after a lot of trial and error.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: