3 week old w/ vent issues, not growing (pics added)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted Chicken, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I have a 3 week old chick that doesn't seemed to be growing. Her/his siblings are now twice her size. She eats well and is active for the most part. She had a couple days were she stood with her head hung low and didn't' move around much. 2 days of Poly Vi Sol seemed to work miracles. She bounced back as active as ever, but now her vent is protruding/swollen and hard. She poops fine and eats like shes starving. I've put Prep H on her twice today and switched their food out for mush made with warm water and their medicated chick feed. They LOVE it! Is there anything else I can do? When I applied the Prep H with a small Q-tip I tried to gently push her vent back in. She seemed to like it because she pushed against the Q-tip and then just stayed leaned against it. But it popped right back out (vent is pulsing) I feel so bad and worry shes in pain but she runs around fine with the other chicks. They are not pecking at her vent so I left her in with them for now (I stayed and watched for an hour).

Edited to add: Her vent looked fine 2 days ago.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Here's some pictures. I forgot to mention she is a blue Ameraucana, and the sweetest chick you can imagine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Even a story of recovering from something like this would help. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by