3 week old with injured leg. Can you help me identify the problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by genasee13, Apr 18, 2017.

1. genasee13

genasee13 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Pocatello, ID
    I have a 3 week old Rhode Island Red with an injured leg. It looks like he "knee" but idk. She can slightly walk on it but it bends all strange and she has to flap about to not fall over. No verbal signs of being in pain. I can touch it, she can move it and straighten it. She just hobbles about. Eats and drinks just fine.

Poor thing just barely recovered from the heat lamp falling on her. She was burned a bit and had a hurt leg, she recovered on her own and just started walking on it again when this happened. Idk what actually happened. I assume it was from flying around in the brooder or falling of something in there. I have 4 total in the flock and I know they could use more space, which I'm working on.

Anyways, I have a video of her walking about but idk how to put it on here or have y'all see it. If anyone could help me identify the problem so I can help her it would be much appreciated.

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you have your chickens on? If they are on newspaper they could develop leg problems.

3. genasee13

genasee13 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Pocatello, ID
    I have them on pine bedding. If she slipped my guess would be off the roost or maybe the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by