1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old with strange behavior-- Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Mar 28, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a three week old standard chick in with 2 bantam chicks. The 2 bantams are one week older then the standard. The standard has sprouted a pink comb and some wattles too. This morning, I noticed him jumping up in the air and landing on the other chicks backs. Does this behavior mean that my chick is a rooster?
    Thank you.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    May be a rooster, but 3 weeks is too soon to tell.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011

Even with this aggressive behavior? Thanks for your response, by the way. [​IMG]

4. PsychedChicken

PsychedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Aggressive behavior does not mean a rooster. My most aggressive chicken is a hen.... I'd cull her if she didnt lay so well... But my Roosters are sweet. They dont even fight each other.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any chicken can be, or become aggressive. I don't know what the disparity in sizes between your chicks may be at this point, but keep in mind that pretty much any chicken of any age will go after/pick on any other chicken it thinks is in any way weaker than itself. So you may need to separate your bantams to avoid injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by