3 Week olds move to their new digs. PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I moved the 3 weeks olds out to their new coop today. The plastic storage bin is just not big enough for them anymore. I tried to take individual 3 week pictures today, but they weren't to interested in posing.

So, I packed them up and moved them out. They are so funny, all the sudden they can use their wings without bonking themselves on the head. And they are totally struting their stuff out there. Oh, and pooping, I've never seen so much poop from such little critters before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Too Cute! I have 40+ little ones coming, may I ask how big was the storage bin they were in for 3 weeks?
    I plan on using grandsons hard plastic pool, no idea how fast they will grow out of it!

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    It was 18" X 28" X 13" H. They grow really fast. I raise 50 at a time usually, in a 6' X 8" brooder coop, and by 7 weeks they seem crowded to me. They were really crowed in their little storage brooder. I go out and watch them, and the song from Peter Pan comes to mind "I can Fly!, I can Fly!, I can Fly!" It's all very cute. They will soon grow out of this coop too, it's one of my new breeder coops, and it's meant for only 5-6 grown chickens and I have 11 in there. When the batch in the bator hatches, I'll move these into the breeder coop over the partition and put the new chicks in here (probably after 3 weeks) and then I'll start triming the herd. The pullets will go into the coop with the big girls, the blue orps will have one breeder side, and the blue Jersey's will have another. Hope this all works out [​IMG]

4. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Thanks Cowboy, this means I don't have to use the pool right away. I say you're on top of things very well and will do great! me I'm not too sure lol
    Is your brooder coop 6 feet long and 8 inches wide? or 8 feet wide?

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oops that sticky shift key. It's 6' X 8' But I have a bunch (75) coming on Monday. I hope they all get here safe

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

They look very happy to have lots of room! [​IMG]

7. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I went out and sat with them for a while. They are already trying to figure out how to get on top of the waterer. [​IMG] They can't quite get on the new roost I made them, so I had to put their old little one back in. I give them, maybe 3 days before they can get on top and poop in everything. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by