3 week olds outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kirky7, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kirky7

kirky7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    HI all,

I live in Australia and it's currently the summer so temperatures at night are around 68+ and during the day around 86!

Today I brought 2x 3 week old araucanas because I just couldn't resist them when I went to buy some older pullets!

I have set the chicks up in a large pot 1/4 filled with dirt that's been heated throughout the day with newspaper covering it and then lots of straw over it. Then put their water and food in there and secured chicken wire over the top and a tarp over that... for shade and protection and then put them in my chicken coop with their older counterparts.

Do you think they will be ok like this

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Personally, I think they might get a little chilly at night. Three weeks old is kind of young to be outside without a source of heat.

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I think giving them a heat lamp option a night would be best. I have 3 week old chicks and they aren't feathered yet, so I know mine would be too cold at 68. I would just use heat at night until they have feathers, and give them the option to sleep in the heat or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by