1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week olds with 3 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redneck, Jul 3, 2007.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I have a surprise hatch of a RIR. In a few days I will be having around 9 Black Stars hatching. I was wondering if it would be safe to put the 3 day old Black Stars with the 3 week old RIR. If not I will make another brooder.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wouldn't!! I had day olds i tried to put in with my week olds and they needed to be with a divider for a few days........they were right on them looking like they wanted to hurt them. After a week with a divider i tried little intro's and after 2 or 3 the big one acted like they were there all along. maybe you dont have to, but i would do it slow.

3. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    Thanks, I will just go ahead and build another brooder.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The brooder i had, we divided it into 2 sides. There was 1/4" space under the wooden divider. This allowed them (unintentionally) to be aware of the occupants on the other side. I think it helped alot when doing introductions, They maybe got used to eachother a little. I dont know if that is anything you can do with your set up, but i just thought i would tell you about it. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by