3 week Silkie chick attacked by my dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buggal, Aug 21, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Just got 8, 3 week old silkie chicks. My husband had the dog outside with him and as the dog was running by the brooding box he snatched one up in his mouth. We got the chick out and I put it in a towel to help calm it down so I could look at it. Once calmed down I saw blood on the inside of the right wing and a little bit of blood on the top of the wing. Nothing major but I put triple antibiotic ointment on it. No other injuries were seen. I did separate it from the rest of the group because I have heard that if there is blood chickens will go after it and I didn't want to see it get more injured. Here is my question. Did I do everything right or have I missed any steps. The chick seemed to try and use the wing but I had it in a towel where movement was restricted. My husband thinks we will loose it but I am an optimist and I think it will be fine but I need to know is there anything else I need to do for it?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    What kind of triple antibiotic cream did you use the original or the one to help with pain the pain one is poisonous to chickens. Just keep it clean and make sure it dosnt get infected and yes you can put it in with the others but put some blue food coloring with some water and put it over the wounds. But it would probably be best to keep him separated. I hope he/she gets better

1 person likes this.
  3. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Neosporin's generic by Equate. It doesn't say anything about pain reliever.
    Thank you for your response

4. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Well here is the update on my little silkie. The wing is healing nicely, she is stretching it out and moving it some (not a whole lot) but I have noticed that she is not wanting to put a lot of pressure on the right leg. She is holding it out to the side when she walks or "hops". I have read several threads on this forum about leg injuries and I am keeping her separated and quiet. Not handling her unless necessary. I had put her back in with her clutch mates for a little bit that is when I saw that she was favoring the leg. Did the research and then pulled her back out. The cage that I had her in had a metal grate on the bottom so I changed the living conditions to a large box with pine shavings.
    Thanks to Roada Red and everyone in the community that has helped in some way... that means the old treads too.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    If you can get some baby aspirin and give her half of it once daily

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  7. TWK777

TWK777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    I had a girl with a leg injury who lived to be 7. As long as the animal can get around, i wouldn't cull it. As far as healing it, I have no suggestions. Leg injurys can be tricky to diagnose and heal. sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

8. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Update on my silkie baby chick. She is getting around her area pretty good. She is still limping but I went out into the field and caught some grasshoppers and hand feed her. She loved it and the ones that got away from me she chased down. It is very encouraging. Will keep you updated on the progress.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update[​IMG]

Leg injuries can take a while to heal. Sounds like she is moving pretty well to chase down grasshoppers.

Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  10. buggal

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    So here is the update for today. "She" (I'm hoping) is doing very well. She is still in an enclosed space by herself but she is walking around and scratching without any limp that I can see. She keeps looking up at the top of the box like she is thinking of trying to get out or try and roost at the top.
    I am hesitant on checking out the hurt wing. I don't want to make it any worse but I really would like to know how it is healing. I am just putting antibiotic ointment on it and not really extending the wing out. Should I do this to see if the wing is ok or should I leave it alone for now?
    When I pick her up to love on her and doctor the area she doesn't resist or get freaked out like all the other silkies her age. That is why I am wondering if the wing is ok or maybe she is just a friendly chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by