3 week silkies are they old enough to tell if they're mixed? pics incl

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I posted these chicks of Diamonds when they were just hatched but it was too early to tell if they were mixed? They are almost 4 weeks now are they still too young to tell. Im hoping for mixes the daddy hopefully is salmon faverolle.
20212_photo-0095.jpg
when they were new. them now at almost 4 weeks.
20212_photo-0158.jpg
20212_photo-0143.jpg
20212_photo-0130.jpg
20212_photo-0128.jpg
20212_photo-0140.jpg
So do think mixes or not. Thanks Sandy PS sorry they look scraggly there changing out for more fluff and a few feathers right now.
roll.png

Last edited:
Kind of hard to tell IMO.... at this stage all chicks look like a big ball of mess....I say wait a bit...not much or top knots.....so maybe they are mixed

Quote:
Im sure hoping they are the mixes, I wouldnt even care if they were all roos! LOL and yeah none of them seem to have topknots, I beleave all the silkie babies (Momma Diamond included) were very obviously pure silkies at 3 days of age, these babies I wouldn't be able to tell that they were pure even at a couple of days old, the patterns on their wings is giving me alot of hope though. LOL Thanks for your opinion, I'll keep posting til they get old enough to tell for sure. Sandy

If they were mixes they wouldn't have silkie feathering unless both parents carried the silkie feather gene, so I'm guessing they are silkies.

I agree its weird! LOL But all the babies also have regular feathering in there wings, also the one with blackest wings and the black chick have black legs, all the others have light green legs. and there skin color is also paler than the normal silkies? However all of them have 5 toes on each little foot, but both breeds have 5 toes so that doesn't mean much. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here, (maybe alittle in denial) too . but the wings also changed as theyve grown they started out mostly buff and the wing tips started changing just like the way you would feather sex a Faverolle to tannish brown on some and to black on others??? Im going to post more picks in a week or so and maybe they will give a few more clues to go on as to there papa is. Heres a picture of Oliver his beard is missing because the girls pick it out and my Zues pulls out his tail feathers when he catches Oliver with his girls.
20212_photo-0172.jpg
He got frost bite on his comb this last winter and weve had nothing be yukky rain here so his feet are dirty too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom