3 weeks - add cooked rice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shaggy, May 19, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i started adding a little bit of grit to their feed last week so i could start giving them treats every now and then

last night i gave them some cooked rice --- it was hilarious

the rice was a little sticky - so they would peck it out of my hand and some would stick to their beaks. and of course another would see it sticking to the beak and try to steal it ... so they would run around in erratic circles to keep the other chicks from stealing what was stuck to their beaks

.... it was almost as fun as watching them with the earthworms

2. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    You think that is funny, you should try some worms!!
    [​IMG]

3. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    My chicks are a week as of today and yesterday I gave them all earth worms, they were halirous fighting and playing tug-o-war![​IMG][​IMG]

4. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    2 days ago i gave them some earthworms ---- i thought it was funny --- my son thought it was funny, he was chanting "fight, fight, fight!!" -- but it made my daughter sad ... she likes earthworms

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

We have 17 day olds, havent started giving grit yet because we just havent made it to the feed store, but I planted flowers over the weekend and put the sod chunks in the brooder with some fresh grass clippings.... MAN that was a good time, I think we sat in our lawn chairs laughing at chicks for an hour!

6. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    I bought normal grit but is it too big for my 4 week old polish chicks? They love to get their own worms from under big rocks during play time outside.

They love little crickets and beetles ttoo. Pet stores have crickets if you dont like to catch them your self

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by