3 weeks ago = 0 hens. 2 weeks ago = 2 hens. today = 5 hens...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Shag, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Shag

Shag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    NC
    I think I can see where this is going. [​IMG]
    We started out with a Rhode Island Red and a Golden Buff, both are about 13 weeks old. Today my wife picked up a black Bantam Silkie (6 weeks old), an Ameraucana (3 days old), and a Bantam Brahma( 6 weeks old). The guy she got them from raises/sells them and gave her lots of advice on how to take care of them since they are so small and how to slowly introduce the new ones to the two we already have. For now the 3-day-old is alone in a rubbermaid box with a 75 watt bulb over her. The other two are in a small cage together. And all three of them are in my step-daughter's room. [​IMG]
    Some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. supermom

supermom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Although I had been told introducing new chicks to older hens would be problematic, I had no issues at all. My older chickens were outside in an inclosed pen. I attached a small "run" to the outdoor pen using 3 foot high chicken wire and green stakes (home depot=cheap!). My "chick run" was about 18 inches by 2 1/2 feet long. Once the chicks were able to go outside for a bit without being too cold, I had my son put them in the chick run for a short time. As the chicks got older, they stayed there for longer and longer. This allowed the older hens to get used to them. When I finally made the decision to mix them, I did it when they were free ranging. Believe it or not, there was NO problem and the chicks followed the hens into the real run for the night! oh, I covered the run with some old material I had laying around so the chicks didn't fly out.
    good luck!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Tell you wife it looks like she needs to go back and get another 3 day old so that sweet little chick won't be lonely. [​IMG] All joking aside, the 3 day old really does need a friend. Besides, sounds like a great excuse to get another one! [​IMG]

BTW - They are all adorable! [​IMG]

4. Shag

Shag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    NC
    Quote:I think you're right. She's chirping away up there right now. I have a feeling she's gonna keep us up tonight if she keeps that up. Po' wittle chicken. [​IMG]

5. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I would put a small stuffed animal in with it until you can get one more. They feel better when they are not alone.

6. Shag

Shag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    NC
    Quote:I just read your post to my wife and she grabbed a small stuffed animal dog toy thing and headed upstairs. She's feeling guilty now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I predict we'll have another chick in the very near future.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:A little stuffy and a mirror works well in a pinch, yes. But Catray is right... Time to get it some friends! As many friends as you can get your hands on! [​IMG]

8. Shag

Shag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    NC
    Today... 6. As expected. [​IMG]

9. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I bet your first little baby is a happy camper now!

10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Oh no, you've been Silkie'd... The madness will never stop now for you...sorry [​IMG]
    christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by