3 weeks - Just Introduced Night Cycles

Apr 10, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Good morning!

Last night was the first night I transitioned the girls to lights out (with the red heat lamp on, still). Of course they were scared at first, but they settled after a while.

This morning, however, the girls are going crazy! They are fluttering around, testing out their little wings, trying to roost on everything, and are even a little aggressive towards each other.

Is this normal? Are they more well-rested so they are feeling sassy?

Thanks!

Good morning!

Last night was the first night I transitioned the girls to lights out (with the red heat lamp on, still). Of course they were scared at first, but they settled after a while.

This morning, however, the girls are going crazy! They are fluttering around, testing out their little wings, trying to roost on everything, and are even a little aggressive towards each other.

Thanks!
What a great observation and question you had.
When I did that with my girls at that age in the morning they were also super happy chirpy and showing off a little bit of their confidence they all get along well and nothing happened. I wouldn't worry ....nature is nature.

Yes, this is normal for chicks in the morning.

I would have done that from the very first day. If they really need a midnight snack the heat lamp is bright enough, and I generally prefer them to sleep at night and be awake in the daytime.

What a great observation and question you had.
When I did that with my girls at that age in the morning they were also super happy chirpy and showing off a little bit of their confidence they all get along well and nothing happened. I wouldn't worry ....nature is nature.
Thanks for the reassurance, I was hoping they were just excited for the day!

Yes, this is normal for chicks in the morning.

I would have done that from the very first day. If they really need a midnight snack the heat lamp is bright enough, and I generally prefer them to sleep at night and be awake in the daytime.
I would have done it from day one had I been a member of this forum. Unfortunately I just discovered it a few days ago. I was going based on recommendations from coworkers and other websites which ended up being wrong.

Now the girls will enjoy a normal sleep schedule! And I get to enjoy the morning shenanigans.

I would have done it from day one had I been a member of this forum. Unfortunately I just discovered it a few days ago. I was going based on recommendations from coworkers and other websites which ended up being wrong.

Now the girls will enjoy a normal sleep schedule! And I get to enjoy the morning shenanigans.

If they were going to give you wrong advice, at least it was something that did not cause any big problems :D

I think people get mixed up about whether the chicks need light at night, or just heat (because a heat lamp provides both.) Of course a mother hen would be providing only heat, no light :lol:

Back
Top Bottom