3 weeks old and day old chicks together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickFila, May 25, 2010.

1. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    I have 3 weeks old quails (total 6) in a brooder. It is too big for 6 quails now.
    This morning, 40+ quails hatched from eggs. I think I will let them stay with 3 weeks old chicks in the same brooder.
    Is it bad idea?
    I don't let older chicks (chicken chicks) and newborn chicks stay together in the same brooder, but I don't know if it would be ok for quail chicks or not.
    Looks like quails are not pecking each other?
    Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    this is VERY BAD MOJO here!!!

The older chicks will kill the hatchlings! quail are gamebirds. Gamebirds are even worse about pecking than ANY CHICKEN BREED KNOWN TO MANKIND. coturnix and buttons are bad.... gambels and valley's are worse....pheasants will drive you mad!.... bobs are vicious lil demons.... chukar should be placed in solitary confinement in lg glass jars until full grown!(not really but they are lil assassins of the gamebird world) Hope that helps you rate them [​IMG]

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't believe that applies 100% of the time JJ I mean I guess that's the rule, not having different age groups or any different groups together, but righ now I have 2 chukars and 8 gambles that hatched togther there almost 3 weeks old and there doing great together, and just last Friday 2 little bobwhites hatched and I put them in together and so far there doing really good too, I guess I'm just lucky nothing has happened yet!
    I guess you don't always have to go by the rules just try it see what happens if you see the older ones attacking the little ones than you'll know it's not working, just keep a close watch on them. Good luck

4. thebirdfarm

thebirdfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    if they are coturnix then your probably just fine especially with adding that many. I do that all the time with coturnix even add a chick in a pen with an adult once and it all worked out good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by