3 weeks old. Breed? Sex? Araucanas? PICS!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by viktoriacl, Aug 12, 2013.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    [​IMG]Ok We hatched some eggs. The guy who sold them said they were Araucanas and Buffs. First I doubt they are Araucanas, Second I don't know what "Buff" means.... So with that said this is what I have.....These were their egg numbers #4.Green egg:all yellow. no visible comb, #7: Green egg, chipmunk coloring long "eyeliner" ( Darker of the 2 chipmunks) #6: tan egg, yellow with burt orange coloring, visible comb. #3: tan egg, chipmunk coloring, All of them have yellow legs with no feathers. Thanks for guessing!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    No guesses? Too confusing?

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are easter eggers and too young to sex. Wait until 6-8 weeks. Reasons they arent araucanas- hatched from green eggs (araucanas lay blue), they have tails (araucanas are rumpless), they arent the right colors(araucanas only come in so many accepted colors), wrong leg color (araucanas have willow legs).

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Here are the eggs. Blue? I guess they really are not green. What color is willow? Any chance any are some breed that has "buff" in the name? Thanks. I figured they were most likely EEs.[​IMG]

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I can t tell from the pics. you cant really tell egg color that well from pictures. But you said some hatched from brown eggs. Buff is a color, but i dont know if araucanas come in buff or not. Regarless then are easter eggers. The chimpmunk coloring is what a typical EE looks like.

6. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Ok. Thanks. If I compare the egg color to a true green egg the eggs were blue. I have 3 EEs now that lay a similar color. It's more blue than green. My adult EEs all had dark legs. These chicks all have yellow/orange. Oh well. I guess there is no rhyme or reason.[​IMG] You dont think the yellow chick with the rust color on her chest,shoulders and wings is a roo? Too early? I thought that color was an automatic roo pattern.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    to early

8. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    [​IMG]Better egg color pic? It's not as washed out.

9. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Too early. Got it. Didn't think it mattered. Thanks :)

10. Brada Puhi

Brada Puhi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Kailua, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    Aloha,

check the easter egger sexing site, usually if they develop red on wings, it is a boy. The site has many pictures and examples.

kden, Puhi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by