3 Weeks old chick with head missing, What could have done this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by IndianRunners02, Aug 18, 2014.

1. IndianRunners02

IndianRunners02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    I went outside to collect the eggs when I found one of the 3 week old chicks laying on the ground, its head was no where to be seen and had been killed recently as it was still warm and I had only just been out there and everything was fine. Whatever it was, only went for this one chick and there was many in with it. There was also older chickens running about next to them but none of the animals seems distressed in anyway. It is the middle of the day and at first suspected a fox except we have a large boundary fence that also goes underground a fair bit and they are right in the centre of the chicken yards. It may have been a cat or a crow? Idk, any ideas? Thanks alot

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your chick what an awfull way to find it. I'm not sure what to suggest it could be as I'm in UK so would automatically think fox with head missing. But all your other birds are ok so would think not as the fox would have got in a frenzy and killed everything. I would double check all your fencing just incase. Hope u catch the offending culprit.

3. IndianRunners02

IndianRunners02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks for showing your interest, The fences are fine and I looked into some more Threads and I'm starting to think it was crows :/ Poor little thing. I have put a cover over there enclosure now so hopefully there shouldn't be any more. Thanks again :)

4. shemax14

shemax14 New Egg

Jul 12, 2014
    This happened to us three nights in a row. 20 years ago we had three hens and a rooster. We'd hear a commotion, but by the time we got out to the pen, there would be a hen missing her head. On the fourth night, we were able to corner the racoon and get rid of it.

5. Ronda Bergeron

Ronda Bergeron New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    LHi there I was told to keep our baby chicks inside until they are two months old. I wonder if that would make much difference. Those creatures are determined to kill just for the sake if killing. Mean things.

6. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    MINKS AND WEASLELS!!! THEY DO DAT.

7. growyourbrew

growyourbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your loss :( It sounds like a raccoon attack. They are very vicious. We had 2 break into our coop one night and they tore off heads. Foxes normally carry away the whole chicken and all you will see left is a feather trail. I never had a mink/weasel attack so I can't say if that's their MO or not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by