3 weeks old chicks, eat everything

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lebnene, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lebnene

Lebnene New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Beirut - Lebanon
    i bought them sea worms they ate them, eventhough they looked very big for them, and today i picked up some sleeping snails, i cut them into small pieces and they ate them really fast also. i keep my baby chicks in a cage, i don't have a backyard. that's why i have to bring them the food myself

anyone here fed them beef meat? haha

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Can I ask what, if you don't have a backyard, are you going to do with them once they are grown? They grow at lightening speed.

3. Lebnene

Lebnene New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Beirut - Lebanon
    i have many options, depends if i am going to move from this apartment or not. i am going to have my own house with lands around soon

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Well thats good. As long as you are providing grit then you can basically give them whatever you want. I waited to give kitchen scraps until 9ish weeks old. My pullets are 17wks old and got their first taste of meat tonight

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    They love bacon. When I get a sandwich with bacon, I don't like it, so I take it home to the chicken. :)

We're currently trying to fatten up our hen (for her health, NOT dinner!!) so we bought her turkey bologna and fed her a turkey hotdog. She loved them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. Lebnene

Lebnene New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Beirut - Lebanon
    i try to feed them as healthy food as possible, i feed them whole grains but i chop them with the meat machine so they become smaller. i am not giving them cooked food because that's not normal for animals, not natural in my opinion, and i want to go tomorrow to the fish market where they sell worms, and buy them some at low price. i don't think i'll ever feed them like beef or pork, small animals are ok, like lizards

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Just be careful with any wild caught snails/worms they are hosts to parasites esp gape worm so keep a close eye on your flock and worm if necessary, their main diet should be grain based with greens but a little extra protein in the form of meat is good too, would love to see your little ones, can you post a pic? [​IMG]

8. Lebnene

Lebnene New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Beirut - Lebanon
    what is grit? is it essential? and why?

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Grit are very small stones that chickens eat, they need it to grind up food in their gizzard as they don't have teeth to chew their food, they will naturally find grit if allowed outside but indoors you will need to feed it to them in a small dish, chicks fed on a chick crumb only diet do not require it until they start eating whole grains or other foods, laying hens also benefit from soluble grits such as oystershell which do not remain in the gizzard but dissolve and give them extra calcium.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Lebnene

Lebnene New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Beirut - Lebanon
    [​IMG]
    thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by