3 weeks old...

Baumshell28

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Gonzales (Baton Rouge), Louisiana
So, my 12 chicks are 3 weeks old and they’re beginning to feather out. They’re definitely catching air since I find them perched on their waterer, feeder and the side of their metal trough brooder. I live in Louisiana, so our weather is very mild. I have their coop all set up & ready to go. Dirt floor covered in a good layer of sand, a layer of DE followed by a really thick bedding of pine shavings. Sprayed the coop down with a bleach solution almost a week ago and today when I put a layer of DE over the sand, I also covered the coop in it from floor ceiling & the ground around the outside...everything! We tore down the old fencing today and will be putting a new one up over the next week. The pop door is locked down so nothing goes out...nothing comes in. Is it ok for them to be moved out to the coop? And, should I run an extension cord & heat lamp out? As it stands, the heat lamp isn’t even angled into the brooder anymore since it seems to make them uncomfortable in that small spot. The only reason it’s on at all is it makes me feel like it creates a warm atmosphere since they’re in a metal trough that’s on a cement floor in my utility room. I’m sure I’m overthinking things like usual, but...what do y’all think???
0DF85B21-2932-4404-B7A3-D3FD7A8BBCEA.jpeg

I moved mone out at 3 weeks but I did provide some heat(but we also were only in the high 20s). I kept them in the coop for about a week and then let them start roaming outside. Slowly began weaning them from their heat. It was still available in the coop but they spent most of their day in the run area. I also provided a huddle box but, again, we were colder.

Update: the girls are back inside -in the brooder perking up under some heat. They thought this was their daily field trip & loved exploring this new “field trip location”. About an hour after the sun quit shining thru their hardware mesh door, we went to check and they were huddled together & really showed signs of being miserable; one had even been “not right” while I was out with them. Didn’t have any extension cords long enough to run the lamp out there so I have yet another order in at Lowe’s and we’ll have a 100 ft cord and try all over again tomorrow. Not always the definition of insanity...sometimes it counts as perseverance! ALL seem normal, healthy & warm now!

You KNOW these girls are from Louisiana...thermometer hits 65 and these folk start unpacking the jackets with a quickness!! **Disclaimer: I was born wayyy up in Wisconsin**
:lau

Day time temps are definitely good for moving out (on the hot side actually). Nights are obviously cooler... if you can't give them the option of heat, maybe do days outside and nights inside for another week or so (while reducing heat every couple of days), then they should be good to move out.

Back
Top Bottom