3 Weeks Old!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyshayla, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ladyshayla

ladyshayla New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Yesterday all of my babies are 3 weeks old. I've been taking them out nearly everyday for the last week, increasing their time outside each day. It's supposed to be staying warm around here (about mid 80's, lows are sitting at about 60), so I figured it was time for everyone to start staying outside. During the day I leave the door to the coop open so they can come in and out as they please, and I've got their heat lamp inside the coop for at night when it cools off, so it will still stay pretty warm in there.

Also, I still haven't determined breeds, I only know they came out of the Red Bantam bin at TSC, so some help determining breed is much appreciated!!

So, here are the babies!!
    Cocoa
    [​IMG]
    Primrose
    [​IMG]
    Cinna
    [​IMG]
    Rosemarie
    [​IMG]

They all look so happy outside, it's pretty adorable watching them flutter around after each other. Even little Prim, who is behind everyone in feather development, is happy and energetic outside.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Beautiful chicks! They're so entertaining when they free range. Just beware they don't get lost in the undergrowth, it gets hard to find them if that happens. ;)

I can't help noticing that they look very like my chicks did when they were that age (I've always had sex links) but as you say they are bantams, I'm probably wrong. I don't really know anything when it comes to breeds anyhow.

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Look at those tree trunk legs!! Holy moly! Mine are only 11 days old and look like teeny butts compared to yours! So beautiful!!! The red color is gorgeous!!

4. MD

MD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    San Mateo, CA
    hunger games names?! thats funny! i really like prim.... especially for a chick thats a little late. its cute!

5. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011

I noticed that too, wasn't sure if it was a breed thing. :p

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Wow your chick in the last pic has got ALOT of feathers and huge legs. My chicks are 3 weeks old tomorrow and yours look bigger. I love the half chick half chicken phase lol. Sorry I dont know what breeds you have I'm still new to chicks. They are cute though.

7. ladyshayla

ladyshayla New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Haha, I'd actually started out naming Cinna Cinnamon and thought Cinna would be cute for a nickname, then I later realized what I had done, and so had thought Prim would be perfect for the wee one. x3

As for their size, maybe it's in the water? lol I'm just glad they're all growing pretty well!

8. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    It was weird, I noticed that the chicks' sizes were different depending on where they spent the first few weeks of their lives...

The outdoors group, who free ranged every day, stayed small while the two that we kept in the brooder for the first three weeks due to going on vacation ended up absolutely enormous. I suppose they got to put their energy into growing. :p

9. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    they look like bantam size EE,s

10. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Lol mine are all inside and no where near this size....my chickies would have leg envy for sure! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by