3 weeks--too cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michickenwrangler, Mar 20, 2011.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    How cold is too cold for 3 week old chicks? They are literally going stir-crazy in their brooder but it is a damp 35 degrees outside. Too cold?

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    How many are they?

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    8 total: 6 standard, 2 bantams

Wings are fully feathered, bodies are starting to feather. Their cardboard box is big: 3' x 3' (it housed a tired saddle rack) and I do have a small rabbit cage I could possibly put the banties in.

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Too young.. wait till fully feathered.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sort of depends on if they have a heat lamp or not and if they have a draft free building. I wouldn't let them outside on the ground at that temp.

6. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    They're in my living room. So long as I have the heat on, they no longer have a heat lamp. When it is sunny, I put them in tha cage on the porch (porch faces south and has windows on 3 sides, so yesterday while it was 40 degrees and sunny, it was 70+ on the porch--makes a dandy greenhouse!) and they like watching the wild birds and free-ranging chickens.

7. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    If you have a broody hen you might try putting them out with her but thats chancy. If you can put a heat lamp you could put on/near/in (deepending on the size/space) the rabbit cage then you could probably leave them in the rabbit cage on the porch and turn on the heat lamp at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by