3 wk chick. Swollen abdomen

southernBelle79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Lafayette, LA
[/IMG]

Anybody know what this bean shaped tumor looking thing is? This austrolorp is about three weeks d from my pet chicken. It may have been there the whole time. I had a chick with perosis in the same batch and that kind of took most of my attention. But the mass has grown. I thought it might be pine chips. Been giving olive oil, applesauce and vitamins. The eat chick starter mixed wit water and I have a hard time getting the flock to drink water by itself despite showing them the watered all the time and even putting a little sugar in the water. I do give them mealworms but I stopped for a day or two after noticing this mass, and it didn't change. She seems ok but maybe a little uncomfortable when she lays down.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Also,added grit to brooder (there's zeolite, dookashi, and pine shavings. Was sand). And she poops fine.
1f609.png

Last edited:
Is this in the crop? (right side of the birds breast? Compare her crop to other birds crops and positioning of this lump)

Is it doughy like bread dough when you gently squeeze it? I had a Australorp chick with a dough crop. If it is doughy, I can give you an easy recipe to clear that out of there fast.

I don't think it's the crop. It's so low. And its not her whole belly. if you look at the last picture, it pushes her little fluff to the floor on the right side. It is shaped like a large fat pill or bean and its pretty hard.

The liver is just below the crop area about where this lump on your bird is.

It is hard to know what could be wrong with her liver at this age. Could be something genetic or the liver didn't form properly. Do you have an avian vet you might take her too?

Well here is an updated photo. I was thinking it was smaller, but maybe she is just a little bigger. I hate to spend lots of money on a chick, but maybe I will call around for an avian vet tomorrow. I don't want her to suffer.

Back
Top Bottom